Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Nellie the Elephant

A little while back, I wrote about how C6 and I were totally in love with Captain Bogg and Salty. We still are! I bought the album and we dance to it pretty much daily. Calvin's favorite song is called "Nellie The Elephant" which sounds like it would be right at home on a Dropkick Murphys album. It is sort of a sea shanty that goes back and forth between a soft circus-y part and a rousing pub rock singalong. Every so often there is a part where the music stops and the singers start a note very soft and low and increase in volume as they slide up the scale. C6 drops to the floor and slowly stands up, lifting his hands up to the sky as we sing. Seriously - this is one of the best kids songs EVER. I found a little piece of video from a live Captain Bogg and Salty performance - it is only a tiny part of the song, but here it is:



I had never heard the song before. Have you? It so rocks! I just did a little checkin' aroun' and found that it was written in the '50s and was recorded in the '80s by The Toy Dolls. Dude! I'm not sure how I missed The Toy Dolls first time around - I really like this kind of music. Here is their version of "Nellie"- it is so much fun!



Here's another version, again, by The Toy Dolls - such dance moves!


...and look! How to play "Nellie the Elephant" on guitar, a lesson from Olga of The Toy Dolls.


How I love YouTube! There's even a version of The Dickies playing "Nellie" with Olga guesting. But I won't post it because I've already gotten carried away here...(um, y'think????)

(We really love this song!)

No comments: