Monday, February 25, 2008

Rock-n-Romp Boston a SMASHING SUCCESS!

Yesterday's first ever Boston ROCK-N-ROMP was fab! Great turnout, bands, guest authors, activities, fun! Well done, Kerry & Carl!

It was so nice to hang with friends I hadn't seen in quite awhile. A lot of conversations were of the minute-and-a-half variety - (oops, gutta reel in the kiddo before he unplugs all the band's pedals and tuners...be right back...etc.) I liked seeing all the next generation rockers out there. I don't think I saw one kid who wasn't having a good time. It was cute to see the teeny tiny babies rockin' out too.

We enjoyed the music of Wonderful Spells and Bon Savants (though we ran out of steam after a few hours of rockin' and rompin' and had to leave halfway through the Bon's set). Jarrett J. Krosoczka, the author of Punk Farm, (one our fave books!) was there and gave a great, energetic reading - everyone was involved! It was extremely punkrock, if you can believe it. Neal Pollack, author of Alternadad, did some mighty fine reading as well - this was more for the adults, but since some of his subject matter was about POOP the kids dug it, too. POOP! I loved when Neal asked the kids what their favorite bands were. I wish we had been up front for that part - C6 and I would like to meet the kid whose favorite band is the Yeah Yeah Yeahs!!! If you haven't yet read Punk Farm and/or Alternadad, I implore you to do so!

I got to thinkin' that the Rock-n-Romp wasn't so different from rock-n-roll days of yesteryear, spent chasing inebriated band members around the club, wondering if they were going to break something, have a rumble or get into some other kind of trouble...or end up covered in bodily fluids! HAHRHAHR. Ah, the good old days. (I'm exaggerating. None of my former bandmates were really THAT bad...were they?)

C6 was dancing up a storm in the area to the left of the stage at Great Scott. The dance floor in front of the stage was pretty packed, and C6 requires room to roam! I had to switch the videocam to "night vision" to film this, that's why it looks a little strange. Here's C6 dancing in the darkness to the tunes of Wonderful Spells. They were wonderful!



We can't wait to go back to Rocknromp - word is, the next one's in April - see you there!

The squeaky wheel gets the rock! Hurrah!

Scurvyann,
over-n-out
xo

1 comment:

LEstes65 said...

None of your former bandmates were that bad? Um...I'm pretty sure I threw every single one of youz guyz out of Buns at one time or another. Or maybe they were just people dressed like you. Or maybe they were just people who had stolen your IDs.

But Ad should have been arrested for that GI Joe torso of his. The rest of you should have just been arrested for my amusement.